The Annual General Meeting of International RS:X Class Association supported to open the Class ENP program for RS:X Female sailors to improve their level of skills and to help them to prepare for the 2020 Olympic Games and its qualification events.
The RS:X Class Executive Committee is preparing now the first RS:X ENP Training Course during the Princesa Sofia Trophy regatta in Palma, Mallorca, Spain between 25 March – 6 April, 2019, i.e. during the 50 S.A.R. Princesa Sofia Iberostar Regatta (http://www.trofeoprincesasofia.org/en/default/races/race-resultsall), and just before the RS:X European and Youth European Championships & Open Trophy (http://www.rsxclass.org/europeans2019/)
About the RS:X Class ENP Program:
Preparing ENP towards qualification for and racing in the 2020 Olympic Games Tokyo Japan, with specific focus on the female fleet as they have 27 MNA quota places, compared to 25 quota places for men!
The level of the RS:X fleet last ladies in the 2016 Olympic Games was not good enough to finish all of the races, so quality improvement is necessary to have a minimum level required to compete in the Olympic Games.
The men have only 25 places, so will automatically have a much higher level, and therefore there is no need to do a specific ENP Program for RSX men fleet.
Class ENP Coach in Palma
Mr. Diederik Bakker (NED) will be the RS:X Class ENP coach for the Training Course in Palma, Spain. Diederik is a long time windsurfing coach and also the coaches representative in the Class Executive Committee.
ENP Training Group in Palma
The training group is limited to maximum of 8 sailors. Each sailor should come together with her coach as the training clinic will include also coaching their coaches.
At the moment ALG, EGY and PHI have been registered and there are still vacancy for 3 places. So countries who needs a help with coaching and are interested to join the ENP Training Course, please contact to email@example.com, before March 1st, 2019.
The RS:X Class will provide and cover:
- The Class ENP coach Mr. Diederik Bakker (NED)
- The coach boat for on-the-water trainings
- Training and coaching in all aspects of RS:X equipment.
- Technical preparation on shore
- Theory regarding how to use the power from the sail the right way through the body and deliver this power to the board
- Trimming and adjusting to the expected weather conditions
- How to work together on the water in an efficient way
- Training on the water, including the video feedback with analysis of technic and trimming
- Optimisation of body, boom, harness lines positions and length, foot position in different wind conditions
- Tactical and strategic training when focused on racing drills and preparation for the regatta
- Daily program with the meetings on shore and on water training, plus evaluation
- Throughout all the course the sailor’s coach is fully involved the program
The Participants will cover:
Their own sailing equipment, travel, accommodation and meals.
Program in Palma
Monday 25 March – Saturday 30 March: training clinic and preparation to Princesa Sofia Regatta
Monday 01 April – Saturday 06 April: coaching clinic for Princesa Sofia Regatta
Club Nàutic S’Arenal, Palma Bay, Mallorca, Spain
10:00-11:00 meeting at the Club Nàutic S’Arenal, Equipment preparation, daily objectives briefing, weather briefing incl. meteo lessons, trimming equipment for the expected conditions, biomechanics of windsurfing RSX, exercise briefing.
11:00-12:30 1st water training session: focus on technical issues:
- trimming on the water
- body/feet positioning
- harness lines position/adjustments
- alignment of rig/body/board
- pointing or speed, feel your VMG: upwind and downwind!
- maximum power without pumping
- pumping technical: trimming, steering, footstraps, upwind, reaching, downwind
- manoeuvres: changing tack, 360, backward, mark roundings
12:30 – 14:00 lunch break
14:00 – 14:30 briefing for 2nd water session: focus on racing exercises depending on weather conditions: startline positioning, where to start, fleet positioning, timing start accelerating incl max power pumping drills, tactics and strategy start and first upwind, topmark approach, mark roundings, downwind strategies, laylines, etc.
14:30 – 16:30 2nd water session with implementation of exercises discussed in briefing depending on conditions and development potential during the week.
16:30 – 17:30 debriefing training session
When wind/weather conditions are not suitable for water sessions, we will have theory clinics:
- Meteorology and strategy
- Aero and hydro dynamics: Windsurfing/RSX consequences
- Planning and goalsetting(Goalscape)
- How to prepare for a regatta/race day
- Tactics and racing rules
During the Princesa Sofia Regatta there will be a meeting 2 hours before the first warning signal of that day at the clubhouse, where the expected conditions/meteo-forecast, changes in the SIs, trimming consequences, pre-race organisation on shore and on the water, coaching on the water: priorities and limitations will be discussed. Also there will be debriefing after the racing day.
May you have any further question, please do not hesitate to contact directly to Diederik Bakker (NED) as the RS:X Class ENP Coach for Palma – firstname.lastname@example.org or the Class Secretary Andrus Poksi – email@example.com.
See you in Mallorca,